Saturday, August 6, 2011

Obedience

Wow. What a day. It has been a definite day of ups and downs. Some times things happen that just make you want to crawl in a hole, and today has been one of those days.  I just finished my devotion for tonight and it was like a splash of water in the face. 

Obedience.

I expect it from my kids, I expect it from my husband some times, from the youth bells at church, from the kids at Bookworms, etc., but do I know how to practice it?  God asks for our obedience.  He shows us ways in which others have changed their lives to be obedient to him, yet am I really being obedient?  Am I ready and willing to follow His direction, no matter what He is asking? I would love to say yes, but I am afraid that would be lying.  I don't think I have the faith and obedience that Abraham had.  I am trying to get there, but I am not there yet.  In the ups and downs of today, I found myself quick to assign blame, quick to anger, and quick to use my tongue to hurt others.  None of it was intentional, but how different would my reaction have been if I had obeyed Him and held my tongue?  How different would the night have gone if I hadn't been so quick to assign blame to someone else?  My obedience is lacking.  How many times do we sit through that show or movie so as not to offend our friends or family, but we know it is offensive to God?  I know that we all have sins.  I have lots of my own, but is my big sin really disobedience as opposed to the other things that I thought it was?  How can I expect my children to obey if I am not setting the example for them? 

No comments:

Post a Comment