Saturday, April 14, 2012

Really?

Well, for someone who was planning on blogging at the very least once a week, I am still having issues remembering to get on here and blog.  I really shouldn't say issues remembering to get on here, I think about it, but it is when I am in the car or at work and can't blog.  Anyway, I have been reading lots of blogs and noticing lots of statuses on Facebook, and I can't help but be surprised at some of the things I am seeing.  Some of the nastiness I expect, it is an election year and I do have friends that can't seem to remember what our mamas taught us about not talking politics.  Some of this is a little more unexpected though and as been very disappointing.  I am opinionated.  Always have been.  I also tell the truth with my opinions.  Most of the time I try to be nice about it, but if you ask my opinion, then be assured that you will get it.  That being said, I respect the fact that there are opinions out there that aren't mine.  Granted, they are wrong (LOL), but they do exist.  What I have been surprised at lately though is the amount of people who are using Facebook and blogs to state opinions or rants that are hurtful.  Writing about how wrong it is for people to be overweight, that you are a better mom because you don't use Pinterest, even things as mundane as food preferences are turning up on my feed as people not  just saying that they prefer carrots over broccoli, but that they don't know how anyone could be so dumb as to prefer broccoli over carrots.  I am a little confused at what point we lost the common courtesies of the world and gave over to this self-centered world.  Have we become a society that is so focused inward on ourselves and the petty little things that are going on that we can't even see what else is going on? 

This may seem like I am doing exactly what I am unhappy with, but I write this more as a question.  I don't want to raise my kids to be selfish, I want to raise them to be selfless.  Thinking I was doing just that was going pretty good until Easter, when A started fussing that the Easter Bunny didn't bring her enough.  Looks like we will be spending a little more time discussing how very blessed we are.  We have been working on trying to simplify more and spend more time together, and going into the summer, when kids are out of school and sitting around waiting on something to do (yes, I know this isn't always true), how can we focus some of that attention on doing for others, as well as keeping up with some of their own stuff?  I think my next several blog posts will be some ideas on how to do that in our everyday lives.  Not how to do a huge project that will take a day or a week, but how to consistently do something that will benefit others daily.  If you have any thoughts, shoot them my way. 

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment